Monday, February 9, 2009

Fixing up your place

Can you tell the difference between a coffee table that cost seven hundred dollars from a trendy store in downtown New York and one bought for far less? Many times this is possible but if you’ve got the right sense of style then it isn’t always the case. I’ve met plenty of people with a great eye for value. One fellow I know refurbishes trendy furniture from the sixties that would cost thousands if bought new. He furnished his entire home with it and you’d never know that he paid next to nothing for it. Many pieces of furniture that you see second hand were very expensive when new. People get sick of things, move away and find them too cumbersome to transport. If those people have a lot of money, they may buy the newest and most expensive replacements for their old dresser, bedframe, or dining room table. This my friends is where you come in. It is one of the greatest secrets to finding top quality cheap home furniture. That is of course to keep an eye out for used merchandise of extrodinary value that nobody wants anymore. Admitedly, there will be plenty of things that you find that will not be worth a second look, others will be a tough descision, but some will be such a great deal that they won’t require a second thought.

When I bought my second couch, I had been looking for quite a while. I was on craigslist every day searching and could find nothing to my liking. Then I found it. I’m sitting on it right now in fact and its perfect. Although a very expensive piece of furniture, it cost me only 150 dollars and was only a few months old when I got my hands on it. The guy that sold it to me was getting rid of it merely because he didn’t like the way it clashed with the look he was going for in his apartment. He wanted to dump it quick because he was sick of looking at it. I’ve bought many things in my quest for cheap home furniture of exceptional value and I loving finding the perfect piece second hand. Nobody knows what I paid unless I tell them and I take the rest of the money and put it to more worthwhile things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers